Friday, February 10, 2006

A little chat...

Lance woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me that I had been talking in my sleep.
"What did I say?" I asked him, as I stood up, on my way for the kitchen.
"It doesn't matter," He said and looked at me kind of sadly.
I went upstairs and got two cans of Diet Coke from the fridge. On my way back, I saw FRan on the couch, in her robe, watching Andromeda. She saw me, then patted the couch beside her.
"So. You always sleep in your clothes?" She frowned in a mothery sort of way.
"No. Just tired, I guess." I offered her one of the cans, but she shook her head.
"Johnny...I was thinking..."
"Thats good." I smiled and opened up a can. "Didn't pass that nifty tip to Lance, did we?"
She laughed. "I mean about your father. He seems apoligetic, and concerned."
"There are former-Nazis who are apoligetic, Fran."
"Jhohannen." She looked at me sternly. (AND said my name right. She's the best woman alive, truely.) "I know it was wrong of him to hit you. God only knows, I've had some rather...personal experiences with this kind of thing..." (referring to Lance and his dad, when I nodded, she cringed a little)"...but I can tell the difference between malice, and (let me get this straight) unjustifyable frustration. I don't think your father is the type to beat his kids."
"...Me niether."
"And you and I both know, that even if your being totally rational, and in the right, you can still be very frustrating. Your mother and you both have the same power to say little and hurt a lot."
"..." She knows how to make a guy feel guilty...she's an expert...A wife, a mother of two boys + substitute mother for 3.
"I think you have the right to be angry with him, and the right to hate him, if you want to. But I'm sure," And she looked at me, "His attempts to get to know you would be well-met with your own attempts. It'll be easier for both of you if your trying at the same time."
"I guess." I took a sip, feeling a little chewed out...I actually enjoyed the feeling, probably because I have no mom to guilt me anymore. Not that she did. But it was nonetheless a feelin ghtta made me feel loved. (And incidentially...)
"You know I love you like a son. You've known that since you were a baby, right Johnny?" She smiled, and gave me a hug. "I want you to stay here as long as you want. You don't have to see your father if you don't want to, but I implore you, please, please call him at least."
I hugged her back and shrugged. "In the morning. Before he goes to work."
She grinned. "Maybe it'll ruin his day!"
"Bingo." I winked, and went back downstairs, where Lance was nearly passed out again.
I heard him smile as I got into bed, he put his arms around my waist and mumbled,"You're dads an ass. You should live with us forever, in the land of Sex with no Consequences."
I dropped the pop on his back, and he jumped.


((Meanwhile...I got bad news about my Keith Hamilton Sob *Tyr Anasazi from Anderoma...hooooot*...He joined the cast of the Young and the Restless...Dear God WHY?))

Lance's mom is sooo smart. I don't know what I've decided to do yet, but going home now isn't one of them.
JV

7 Comments:

Blogger jumpinginpuddles said...

she sounds extremely wise im glad she was there for you. Hope it goes ok with the phone call.

4:03 p.m.  
Blogger Mr. Death said...

Thanks...she's a real mature woman. She's been my second mom (so to speak)since I was a toddler.
;)
Love
JV

4:39 p.m.  
Blogger heiresschild said...

hi jv,

thanks for posting on my blog. great observation--you're right about it being black history month. i just was using valentine's day to introduce my topic of unconditional love.

i don't have any plans, but who knows what the 14th will bring? i did buy my granddaughters gifts though.

what about your plans?

9:09 p.m.  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

i don't like to hear you making excuses for your dad, he is the adult, after all. BUT, well, i guess i hardly know you, and i only hear your side of the story, and maybe Fran has a point AND she does have way more background information than i do...so...well..it is good that you can be open-minded about this, maybe with time you and your dad will work things out better.

(BUT, having said that i still stand by my original comment: he is the adult and he should not be hitting you, i don't care whether he was provoked or not. -- that is no excuse; there is never a good reason to hit a child -- my stand on this is ZERO TOLERANCE, and that's THAT!)

luv,
pj

3:57 a.m.  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

She *is* smart. Thinking of you as all of this is going on.

:)
Deb

3:32 p.m.  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! here is a "love note" to remind you to "light up your life with love-songs" hah hah, i'm grooving away to Janice Joplin's "take another piece of my heart and break it", as i work.

luv,
pj

2:56 p.m.  
Blogger Mr. Death said...

It's all good. I punish him in my small ways.
Happy V-Day,
JV

7:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home